Thursday, October 09, 2008

A "Lights and Sirens" Report From Your Grammar Police

"Athletic programs will not be effected."
--"Teachers Get Creative Under Budget Cuts", KOB.com, October 8, 2008
I'm slightly sorry to get all Literature teacher on KOB's grammatical posterior, but the quoted sentence above seems to capture so much of today's educational environment in so few words. It's like haiku or something. If only I could do so much with six little words. Basho has nothing on these KOB folks.

Okay, I'm not that sorry.

P.S.: Research continues on "America's Choice". I didn't intend it, but I can already tell that implementation of "America's Choice" has everything to do with keeping bad teachers and getting rid of good ones. Everything.

More news as it becomes available. We now return you to your regularly scheduled, grammatically sketchy, unaffected football game/"reality" show already in progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel I must post this purely because of the coincidence:

Just today in English we were discussing Hemingway's famous 6-word story ("For sale: baby shoes, never worn.") and coming up with our own for Hamlet. Mine was, "Revenge is not always the answer."

I must say that I think your quote takes the cake, and I thank you for providing a topic that I can distract my professor with for a few minutes. Way to be perceptive!