Friday, October 02, 2009

Post #800

This is post number 800 for Burque Babble. Compared to many blogs out there, no big deal (how many does NewMexiKen have at this point, 4.2 million?). But I'm an obsessive counter, so reaching another hundred gets inexplicably "celebrated".

Speaking of counting, one of these days I'm going to copy/paste all the posts, throw them into Word and get a total "word count". I then plan on consuming several beers as I depressingly consider the fact that my "word count" most surely surpasses that of all the Dan Brown books put together.

And Dan Brown has 73 sextillion dollars and I have, less than 73 sextillion dollars.

But is that the point? More to the point, has a single sentence here scaled the literary heights of Mr. Brown and his highly-crafted prose dedicated to entertaining while informing readers about the mysteries of arcane religious organizations and their practices throughout history?

The sad fact is no. For example, I don't think I've used the term "Illuminati" more than three times in all the thousands of words and 800 posts here. I should work on that.

In point of fact, Burque Babble hasn't really changed the face of publishing, hit the New York Times Bestseller List, or even achieved its real purpose of both altering the way children are taught in this country, and the manner in which the "customers" of public education (students, parents, taxpayers) are informed of what is really going on in the process of serving those customers.

I guess there's two ways of looking at that: 1. epic fail; 2. "work in progress".

Burque Babble is a "work in progress". I would say it's "continuously improving", but I can only go so far when it comes to meaningless buzzphrases. So...Burque Babble is a "work in progress". Like cold fusion, or spinning straw into gold.

We'll get there, someday (as sung by Tom Waits)...

Thanks to everyone who has come along for at least part of the ride, so far. Without you, dear readers, Burque Babble would be nothing. Or even more nothing than it currently is. It would be less than nothing. For the only thing worse than "blogging", is "blogging" to an audience of zero.

Thanks for helping me avoid that particular embarrassment, readers. Sorry for all the typos, misspellings, and stupid ideas in the last 800 posts. Sorry in advance for all the mistakes to come.

There will be plenty more of them. I promise.

6 comments:

NewMexiKen said...

Thanks for the shout Scot and congratulations, 800 substantive posts is better than 4.2 million trivial ones any day. And I'm looking forward to the 2009 version of your annual post on the Balloon Fiesta.

NewMexiKen said...

Yikes, I see I had missed your 2009 Balloon Fiesta post. Sorry 'bout that. NewNewsWire RSS reader has been messing with me.

Mario Burgos said...

I think you should look at it as an "epic work in progress." Should you ultimately fail in achieving your goals, you can call it a modern day greek tragedy.

Heck, it might be the start of a whole new genre of literature. You know, where the authors, not the characters, are the tragic figures.

coco said...

I, for one, love your stupid ideas.

Let me know when you're ready to celebrate by eatin' that goat.

Syd said...

Scot, you have no idea how your writing touches the lives of others, or makes it better.

It's kind of like teaching...we have to be optimistic that our work, our time, our energy...is all going toward something bigger than ourselves. If we're lucky enough we'll see a tiny bit of the fruits of it...if we're lucky.

Even if we do, though, we can never really know the full extent of it.

Your series on the middle school websites kicked my school's webmaster back into gear and our website has improved significantly. That's just a little thing, but you've also inspired me to begin blogging and I've set my students up with their own blogs and they're incredibly excited about their own writing. This is something you inspired, indirectly...unknowingly.

If you have aspirations to write beyond this blog, perhaps you should consider dividing your writing time between this and the other..? Just don't give this up, okay? You are TOO friggin' good at it and I'd miss your take on things, since it basically validates my own paradigm and ya know, when that happens, it's all warm fuzzies. Warm fuzzies are good.

Do it for the warm fuzzies.

jscotkey said...

All: Thanks for any words of support/encouragement.

NewMexiKen: I think my "substantive" is alot closer to "trivial", and your "trivial" is much closer to "substantive". Keep up the good, prolific, work.

Coco: The goat is "off the table" so to speak. And very, very fat now..fat enough to cause the average dinner table to collapse.

Mario: In honor of your Greek tragedy comment I will from this point forward post only while wearing a robe and a garland of olive branches.

Syd: That's pretty cool. I'm gonna keep that one for the really bad days.

Anon: Funny you bring up "Alice's Restaurant" as your humble blogger had an interaction with local law enforcement officials yesterday that had all the Kafkaesque elements of those depicted in the Arlo Guthrie song.

Well, at least some of those elements. And no, it had nothing to do with draft cards or littering. And there weren't twenty seven glossy eight by ten photos with circles or any of that. And no, I'm not going to say anything else about it. Really.

Back to the important thing. Thanks all for your comments. Strange planet we have here...certainly worth another 800 or so posts, minimum.