Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When"


I can't exactly put my finger on the reason, but there's something strangely comforting about finding out that "a B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across several states last week". Maybe it's the reassurance that for all our human planning, ingenuity and brilliance, we really do live in a "Dr. Strangelove" world that will end up being deathly altered in the most unplanned way possible. Maybe it's the thought of all those people in TSA lines at the airport being searched for excessively large toothpaste tubes while armed nuclear weapons are flying overhead. Maybe it's the fact the story immediately brings to mind the old George Carlin bit about oxymorons like "military intelligence".

Whatever the reason, be sure to look to the skies tonight, tomorrow and every chance you get. You never know what you're going to find up there.

P.S.: And now looking around the Net, I see an Alibi blogpost/comments about the incident using the very same "Dr. Strangelove" references. Do (insert quality of mind here) minds think alike or what? And I certainly agree with the one commenter that "I'm just always looking for an excuse, no matter how slim the pretense, for quoting from "Dr. Strangelove"."

P.P.S.: And now I see Wonkette has had both the story and obligatory "Dr. Strangelove" reference all day long! Maybe I should surf the Net, THEN do the blogposting. This saturation bombing of cultural references does illustrate, however, how wonderful the post-Tribune world will be, one full of diverse and original thinking. I hope you can tell I'm joking.

No comments: